Debt Prevention Project
What is this service and who can access it?
The Debt Prevention Project helps people in rented property in the Dudley borough. If you have problems with benefits, debts, budgeting or other financial issues we may be able to help. We can help by:
- Explaining how the legal processes work, what are your rights and responsibilities.
- If you’re in rent arrears, we’ll try to help you to stay in your home by making sure you have enough money to pay your weekly rent plus an affordable amount towards your arrears.
- Talking to the Council on your behalf to explain why the amount you can pay is reasonable (based on our financial assessment)
Why Let us help?
- We’ll never judge you or make you feel bad about your situation.
- We’ll always be happy to talk to you, no matter how big or small your problem might be.
- We’ll find ways to manage your debts even if you think you have no spare money.
- We’ll suggest ways to deal with your debts that you might not already know about.
How can this service be accessed?
You can ask the Council’s Homelessness team, Rent Income team, or your Housing Support Worker to refer you to this service. Sometimes the Council will ask you if you’d like to be referred. This is because you have the right to take free Money Advice before certain types of legal action are taken against you.
We aim to contact you by text message or telephone within 5 working days of the referral. We’ll arrange an appointment with you at our new service located in Dudley town centre.