Aims and Principles
- We aim to provide the advice people need for the problems they face and improve policies and practises that affect people’s lives
- We value diversity, champion equality and challenge discrimination and harassment
- We’re here for everyone
The Citizens Advice Service was established in 1939 as an emergency war service and has developed to become the UK’s largest independent advice service. Citizens Advice is a membership organisation for over 250 Local Citizens Advice Services of which Citizens Advice Dudley Borough is one. In Dudley Borough, we are an innovative and highly successful registered charity providing information, advice and guidance to over 1,500 people per month, dealing with over 38,000 issues annually.
We offer information, advice, guidance and casework in 11 key areas:
Benefits, Employment, Debt and Money, Consumer, Relationships, Housing, Law and Rights, Discrimination, Tax, Healthcare, and Education.
We recognise that one problem can sometimes be the result of another so, rather than addressing a single issue at a time we look at a client’s whole situation. This way, other potential problems can be identified early which prevents them getting worse. If the situation has already escalated to crisis, then we are responsive and can utilise our robust network of connections to support or negotiate solutions.
We deliver our services across Dudley Borough in a number of different ways:
- Through a local service based in each of the four town centres; Dudley, Stourbridge, Halesowen, Brierley Hill
- Via a Monday – Friday telephone service
- Across a number of diverse outreach services based in community venues
- By offering a money and debt advice service including financial capability support and a mortgage arrears service
Alongside our paid staff we are also a volunteering organisation proud of our diverse workforce and how we support people to learn new skills to help with personal or professional development. See our vacancies page for paid and volunteering opportunities.
Proving we are good at what we do
We have an exceptional reputation within our local communities from the organisations that fund our services to the clients who receive them. The quality of our advice and how we run our organisation has external, independent accreditation in the following ways:
- National Citizens Advice Performance Quality Framework – In our last audit in June 2017 we were awarded 4/5 in 7 areas and 3/5 in 2 areas of the 9 assessed;
- We hold both the Advice Quality Standards accreditation for advice and Advice Quality Standards accreditation for casework in Welfare benefits and Debt, which means clients and commissioners can be confident that the advice they receive or commission is excellent from a service that is reputable and effective delivered by highly skilled advisors and caseworkers.