Skip to content Skip to footer

Home library and advice service

What is this service and who can access it?

The Home Library Service (HLS) delivers books and other library materials to residents of the City of Wolverhampton who find it difficult to access their local library service due to mobility issues, frailty, sensory needs or caring responsibilities.

Customers are usually referred into the service by a local professional support worker but self-referrals will be considered and the service is free to customers with no delivery or ‘overdue books’ charges.

Customers can choose from a range of formats (standard and large print, audiobooks, digital downloads), identifying their genre preferences and favourite authors. The service also supplies DVDs, CDs, jigsaws and some specialist dementia friendly materials on request.

If a customer is not sure what to choose or want to try something different or their needs change, the specialist advice available from City of Wolverhampton Council Library Services is on hand to help.

As Citizens advice, we deliver this service as our volunteer drivers deliver the books and other resources every 4 weeks, across 24 routes throughout the City direct to the customers’ home with 13 deliveries per customer per year.

Our home library advice co-ordinator is a trained generalist caseworker so whilst volunteers are delivering books they are also trained to identify potential advice issues the customer may be experiencing and offer the customer a referral to our advice co-ordinator who will resolve their advice issues.

How can this service be accessed?

Any resident of the City of Wolverhampton interested in the service as a customer should contact Bridget on 01902 946846 or email

We are always looking for volunteers so if you fancy volunteering, then you can be a resident from anywhere and have access to a car. For more information, use the contact details above.

Do you need immediate help with the cost of living?

See our resources by clicking the link below:

Cost of living resources

You can also get help by going to your local council:

If you are a City of Wolverhampton resident, please go to:

If you are a Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council resident, please go to: